Wednesday, February 25, 2009

John Piper wrote in Desiring God, "Jesus is precious because we yearn for beauty." We, humans, love beauty. Girls love things that sparkle; guys love girls that sparkle. We celebrate beauty and strive after it tirelessly. And finally, when, by grace, we see Jesus, His beauty, so pure and real and greater than anything we've ever seen, we worship. Its a beauty that is irrefutable and the very reason for the saints' perseverance.

If Christ's beauty brings us to our knees, shouldn't all beauty ultimately turn our eyes and lives to Him? I think that's why the view from the top of Looking Glass Mountain takes my breath away. That's why art can bring me to tears. That's why I love the power of words--the beauty in these experiences makes me want to worship.

This is a video Chris shared with me from a Jewish jazz musician called Daniel Zamir, and is so good and beautiful that I literally thanked God and cried a little while listening to it. I wanted to share it. Daniel Zamir does not believe the same as I believe, but I can still see Christ's beauty in his music, and I hope others can too. Maybe Jesus is that big...or rather, that lovely.

PS. The drummer is pretty good too...and Daniel definitely redeems the soprano sax from Kenny G's debacle in the early 90s.

No comments:

Post a Comment