Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Ballykissangel

Rarely do I find a TV show addictive. The Office is one for sure...Arrested Development and Seinfeld too. All American, all comedies, all about quirky (and sometimes downright crazy) people. I think its the shows about weird, funny people that draw me in. Sure, I like drama too...The Closer for example. Full of drama, but also full of goofballs that make me laugh.

Maybe that's why I've been totally sucked into a new "old" show. I mean, I can't stop. Its like cake or skittles--just one more bite. PLEASE! Actually, its probably more like coffee--not as unhealthy as cake or skittles, but even more addictive. Like, every morning addictive. Oddly enough, I generally only drink coffee on days I work, and I generally only watch this show on days I'm off.

What show has so enthralled me that I'm now blogging about it? What show has commanded an hour, at least, of my day the past 4 days? What show combines the allure of drama with the lightheartedness of silly characters for non stop entertainment? I hoped you would ask.

Ballykissangel. Yes, you read that right. Ballykissangel.

Its from the 90s, its set in Ireland, and its about a priest. Have I tempted your fancy yet? If not, I'll continue...

Its about a big city British priest, Father Clifford, who moves rural Ireland as the curate, and rushes headlong into the lives of his parishioners. One's always trying to get rich, one's a coward police officer who thinks he's supposed to be a priest b/c a statue of St. John almost fell on him, one's a feisty girl who's desperate to get married, one's a vet who sometimes drinks too much and wakes up surrounded by sheep, and one's a hot single girl who is mad at God and the church.

Oh the drama! Oh the humor! Oh the accents!

BallyK (as the locals call it) used to come on PBS, but now I've only found it online on Netflix.

So, if you are in the mood for some good British humor and lovely characters, give Ballykissangel a try. You won't be a bit sorry you did.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment