Sunday, May 3, 2009

my book

I think I might try to write a book. Its something I've wanted to do for awhile...like, years. I pondered writing non-fiction, but despite my well known, and loved, verbose nature, I just couldn't think of something that I knew that much about that hadn't been said in numerous books before. So, for now, non-fiction is shelved, and will probably collect a nice layer of dust while I focus some time and energy into a little fiction.

What type of fiction, you may ask? Humor? drama? love and romance? blood and guts? Yes. Blatant Christian romance that will sell out at Lifeways around the nation. Probably not. In fact, hopefully not. I want to write a book that appeals to a large audience, which will probably entail women from ages 16-60. It definitely has to be funny, with twists and turns and unexpected-ness around every page. Of course there will be love (I'm a girl, remember), probably some deaths and accidents but no gore...gore is for weirdos. Ultimately, I want this book to be about redemption--a major theme in my life, and about selfless, life giving love--the major theme of the gospel. This story will not be an analogy or an allegory, but it will have reflections of what I believe about God, Jesus, the Spirit, transformation, love, and life.

I don't know if I'll get through 2 pages and quit, or if I can bust out a few chapters in the next few weeks. Some of you lucky readers (or possibly unlucky, depending on your point of view) might get to take part in this venture, as my "editors" and "critics". Let me know if you want in.

As a teaser, I can already tell you that this story is about a young mother called Jillian, her 5 year old dauther Laurel, a small town called O'Kelly Creek nestled in a valley in the mountains of NC, and something supernatural up in those mountains that the townsfolk don't like to mention.

So here we go...updates to follow.

Oh, I forgot to mention--Chris's anniversary surprise! It was perfect :-) He had a scavenger hunt around durham to our favorite place to find a picture of us that I'd dropped there. The clues ended up leading him to Nana's, where we had a great great meal. SOOO good! We exchanged gifts there--he got me a lovely necklace literally laced with herbs. I got him 2 tickets to see Doc Watson in concert at the NC Museum of Art, and a journal will notes about him from people he works with, family, and friends to encourage his sweet heart. I think and hope he felt as appreciated as he is by me. Honey, I can't believe its been 1 year already...and so many great ones to go. Love you!

4 comments:

  1. Lauren Dyson05 May, 2009

    Cool anniversary gifts. I think for our first anniversary, I got Josh a video game and he got me shoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be interested in reading and maybe giving feedback if your project gets off the ground. I definitely think you should go for it!

    Also, one of my friends participated in the National Novel Writing Month challenge last year - it's an interesting and scary concept, check it out: http://www.nanowrimo.org/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, can a MIL volunteer as a reader/editor?? I'll be very kind, but honest.

    ReplyDelete