Sunday, January 11, 2009

revelation song

Alas for those that never sing,
But die with all their music in them!
~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Music is what feelings sound like.
~Author Unknown

While a number of songs and ditties stick in my head and randomly bubble up to my lips at the oddest times, only a handful of songs have truly captured what I feel. Certain lyrics and melodies perfectly embody my emotion, and these songs are like old friends.

This happened recently when my mother-in-law introduced me to Revelation Song. She knows what I like, I guess. It was just lovely, and I downloaded for a solo trip down to Georgia for a wedding. With seven hours in the care ahead of me, I wanted to make the most of my time, which meant singing and praying my way down I-95. This song struck me so deeply on the road that I continued to repeat it, crying each time it played. Driving became a little hazardous through the tears and rain, but I pressed on, singing away.

This song is an echo of the songs of heaven written in the book of Revelation. Its an echo of what believers will sing to their King. It was like hearing the future. It was like hearing heaven's worship and heaven's rest. For someone who is continually tired, hearing heaven's rest fed the hope I have in Christ. Because this song is so lovely and overflowing with meaning and emotion and appropriately responds to the greatness of God, I wanted to share it with you. The link below will take you to youtube.com and to a recording of the song.

I hope it moves you to worship as it did me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FObjd5wrgZ8

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your story on "the big screen" Sunday morning at WCC. Glad to be your Facebook "friend." Your FB presentation invited your friends to visit your blog and I did. I love your quotes on today’s post and can identify with the emotions that good music brings. I listened to theYoutube version of Revelation Song and enjoyed it. I’m not familiar with Kari Jobe but thought it neat that she shares my daughter’s married last name – Jobe.

    One of my favorite worship songs is inspired by Revelation 15 - The Song of Moses. It’s on the Brooklyn Tab CD I’m Amazed and can be heard at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eILYu_GaHZQ on youtube. I’ve tried to get Chris (Gaynor not Baker) to have the choir sing it since we’ve done most of the rest of the cuts from that CD. I think Marcus would be perfect for the solo. But I guess that testifies to the fact that not all of us see all music the same. One of the marvelous ways that God made each of us different.

    Any way – keep up your good work. Your fiddle playing certainly amplifies my worship experience at WCC.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it weird that I happen to be listening to the Revelation Song when I got to this post? Welcome to blog land KCB!

    ReplyDelete