Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I'm going to bed

When Chris and I got married, we got a fairly nice set of mattresses (albeit used off craigslist), egg crates, new pillows, and gloriously soft sheets. As newly weds, we figured that our bed would be kind of important, and we were right. I never thought I'd like my bed so much. Then I started my new job at UNC Hospital.

After work 12 hours, day or night, I want to get into that bed more than I want food, water, coffee, or conversation. I long for it. I yearn to lay my head on my pillow and snuggle under our comforter next to my man. My drive home is consumed with thoughts of sleeping in the bed.

I've always been a stomach sleeper, save when I dislocated my shoulder, and then it was 8 weeks of back sleeping which was possibly worse than the actual shoulder injury. Who thought back sleeping was a good idea? Well apparently my chiropractor, who I visited a few weeks ago due to some nasty back pain. He was quick to denounce my stomach sleeping and "prescribed" back or slide sleeping from now on.

This became a matter of prayer...deep and earnest prayer. The bed I loved quickly became a battleground between my back and stomach, and the torture of temptation to turn over "just this once" made me sweat and splutter.

Then my cousin suggested the Boppy body pillow, found in the "mommy" section of Target that I've NEVER set foot in and hope to not return to any time soon. I've avoided that water like the plague. However, the call of the Boppy overwhelmed me, and I ventured into foreign "mommy" territory.

Now I have two companions that I love in my bed--my husband and my Boppy. There's just enough room for the three of us, and thankfully Chris isnt' the jealous type.

So our bed is almost perfect. We could stand to turn the mattress more often and make the darn thing everyday, but its comfortable and easy and functional despite the crowd. But I guess without the crowd, it wouldn't be so close to perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment